Great Expectations




It had always been our intention to start a garden wherever we ended up living here in Kenya.  So in the months that it took us to find a home and settle in, we religiously collected yogurt cups and looked out for seeds.  Whatever herbs or vegetables we couldn't find here, T's mother thankfully brought them with her in beautifully illustrated packets (when she came to visit last month).  Last week we took an afternoon to finally plant them and then held our breath with high hopes.  Within days, our first seedlings started to push up from the soil.  Many more have followed since.  

In the past couple years, I've started many gardens, usually with my students to teach them about the science and math involved in agriculture and nutrition.  However, I've never been in one place long enough to reap the benefits of what I helped sow.  For the first time in a long time, I am starting a garden for myself (and my hubby of course) and I can't help but hope that it will feed more than just a pair of hungry stomachs.  I hope this is one harvest I won't miss out on.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram

Twitter

Follow by Email

Be sure to get the latest and greatest of oinge by signing up for email updates!