Moby Dick



There are few things in life that give me as much joy as a noodle dish.  From bucatini to vermicelli, jja jang myun to ramen, I'm all about serving up the spaghetti and passing over the pad thai all day, everyday!!  Now compared to my culinarily endowed husband, I'm not much into cooking.  But you can always count on a good noodle dish to drive me into the kitchen as I try to recreate some of my favorites.  That is, except for one.  If I were Capt. Ahab, pho would be my Moby Dick.  For some reason, every recipe I've ever looked up intimidated me and unlike pad thai or ramen, I could never find a prepackaged pho soup stock or sauce that I could cheat with.  You know it's got to be tough if Annie Chun hasn't yet found a way to make a knock off version.  

Well, last night I finally mustered up the courage to try out this recipe.  Overall, it was a good first effort but I still felt like it lacked the delicate yet rich flavor that I so love about pho. I didn't think it was possible, but I now have an even greater appreciation for all the Vietnamese restaurants whose pho I've ever had the privilege of guzzling.  Nevertheless, a small part of me is proud of myself for finally taking a stand against my pho demons.  I didn't quite nail it this round but as Dr. Claw would say,"I'll get you next time, pho! Next time!!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram

Twitter

Follow by Email

Be sure to get the latest and greatest of oinge by signing up for email updates!