Rudolph's Origin Story



I know it's time to say goodbye to Christmas (if we haven't done so already) but this article from NPR about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was so fascinating to me that I had to share it before 2013 officially ends.  As it turns out, Rudolph was born out of the apparently age old American tradition of commercializing Christmas when ad copywriter, Robert L. May was tasked with creating a children's book for Montgomery Ward's holiday promotion.  A dubious start I know, but I assure you that your disillusionment will end there.  I urge you to check out NPR for the rest of the story and I promise a happy ending that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy for the rest of the day. 

And if that's not enough, at least check it out for pictures of the original sketches and layout for the book.  I was floored by the illustrations and handwritten text.  What I would give to get my hands on one of the original printings!  
   




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram

Twitter

Follow by Email

Be sure to get the latest and greatest of oinge by signing up for email updates!